Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Rough bodywork continues

Pat has repaired the damage to the c-pillar on the passenger side, the gash to the front and rear door pillar, and the right front fender.


He used a hydraulic jack, and particularly medeval looking piece of persuasion that helps bend or pull the damaged metal back into its original position.

I understand that it saves a tremendous amount of hammering. I was not present for this and I'm glad - I think I would have passed out!

I think that one of the trickier bits of work will be getting the doors to align straight. These cars were handbuilt and the gap between door and body seems to vary widely as I look at different models.

Pat said that many restorers will spend countless hours and create a much flusher gap than ever came from the factory -- a 'better than new' scenario.

A coat of primer will make this fender look whole again. It's amazing the number of compound curves on this car. Even the headlight cover is complex.

These covers are aluminum, and the driver side one actually shattered -- Pat sent it to an aluminum welder and we should have it back this week.

No comments: